Sunday 2 September 2007

Rough Pubs

I am amazed at the state of pubs in the SE London area. I worked for Courage brewers in the seventies. Back then if you wanted to run a pub, you were thoroughly vetted and also if you were not a married couple it was unlikley that you would be considered. You also went through rigorous induction training. You had to keep a good house otherwise the area manager would have you chucked out. I was in a pub on Thursday and was disgusted by the way it was run. Some low-life people were lingering in the bar area and theperson serving had about one brain cell and that was damaged! Here is an exchange that happened at the bar.

"Excuse me could I have a bottle of red wine"

"wassat?" guffaws of laughter from the scum at the bar

"Wine, red wine"

"I better phone the boss" ......... she picks up the phone and dials "wos bottle of wine? have we got red?"

"We've got a bottle of red but it's only got a little bit init cos nobody ever drinks it" more guffaws of laughter
"boss says we got a bottle of white" she grunted

"is it chilled?"

"waa?"

"Has it been in the fridge"

"No it's warm"

"Oh give me a pint of lager then"

"That was a twenty I gave you"

"was it? are you sure?"

Walking back through the bar I nearly got impaled by a metal spike sticking in the middle of the foor. £2.90 for crap lager as well.

No comments: