Friday 6 July 2007

Orpington


Graham gave me a lift to Orpington folk club last night. Martin Carthy was the special guest. I had seen Martin here last year, but I must say I enjoyed his performance more so this time. He has a completely original method of guitar playing. He seems to play a tune in a percussive style to a strange uneven tempo and the singing is then entwined in harmony with the melodic stream of his playing, whilst a powerhouse double string (5ths?) bass run interjects at spasmodic intervals ... ?Well that's the best way I can describe it. He is a great bloke, sitting in with the crowd when he is not performing and joining in with choruses of the floor singers. I would definitely recommend going to see him in concert. By the way he sang that song that Sue Forde sings about "stiching up" the husband then beating him with a frying pan and collander. He reckons the song is written/or collected by Mike Waterson. It was good to see Brian Bruce again, he is certainly looking well and playing as good as ever.

No comments: