Wednesday 8 April 2009

Crap

I am thinking of buying a bicycle, but all the bikes that I look at have millions of gears - well about 18 on average. Why would any normal mortal need 18 gears on a bike? I used to cycle a lot years ago. In those days I had a BSA bike with 5 gears of which I used 3 most of the time.

Why is everything crap? I went for an eye test a couple of weeks ago and picked up the new glasses the other day - I couldn't see through the things! "you're not used to them yet" said the woman on the phone "wear them for a week and see how you get on" If I wore those things for a week I would have been blind by now. I brought them back and asked for a re-test - these tests cost £28! The optician said "oh dear those glasses are wrong, sorry we are crap, I'll order another pair" £425 spent and they got it wrong - crap opticians D&A Eltham. Later that day I went down to PC world and bought a laptop for my daughter. the spec looked good on the Advent 6552 so I handed over £400 and took it home and presented it to Sarah. All was going well until she unplugged the USB card after transfering some photos - as she pulled it from the USB slot the computer screen went blank. The laptop was dead and would not power up again. I brought it back and they gave me another one - guess what! The thing worked fine until she once again transfered her photos and pulled the card from the socket - it died! Back to PC World I trotted. Whats going on? This computer is a pile of poo" said I "yes, I know we are a crap store and we sell poop" said the assistant. "Well you can take this pile of poop back and give me an HP laptop instead" said I. The HP is working fine to date touch wood

2 comments:

John said...

Re crapness of bikes, you'll find that road bikes have 18 and mountain bikes about 27. If you don't use the front shift (which a lot of people don't and is difficult to keep adjusted right) then you're down to 'only' 9. As seems to be the way these days, the reaction to this kind of excess isn't 'lets make a simple bike with a sensible number of gears' but the equally mad and inexplicably popular solution which is to have only one gear and no freewheel. Apart from being really hard work, a significant number of people lose the ends of their fingers when working on bikes with no freewheel.

John said...

Oh yes, and another crap thing, If you try to post a comment on a video on the FM website it doesn't stick ;-)

I only tried because Jim's singing SAMMY'S bar by Cyril Tawney, not 'Sally's' as posted.