Friday 30 April 2010

Deep Feeling

Yes Deep Feeling that's the track! I've been saying for years that Fleetwood Mac's Albatross was copied from an obscure Chuck berry instrumental and now I've found it! DEEP FEELING it was the B side of the US issue of the single School Days - now although not exactly the same (there are more chord changes) don't tell me that Peter Green didn't have this in mind when he composed Albatross! In the youtube video there is Schooldays thaen at 2m 45s you can hear Deep Feeling and judge for yourself!

4 comments:

John said...

You've convinced me. Like you say, it's not a legal issue, but you can see where PG got the general idea from. For me, the clincher was when he started sliding around in harmonics.

David Morgan said...

Deep Feeling was highlighted (in an Amazon review I read today) as missing from the otherwise outstanding Chuck Berry Ultimate Collection. So I went hunting on Napster, and....Albatross, here's your baby chick. The bass line, guitar tone, the whole 'feel' (though not the entire melody, to be fair - Peter Green did build something bigger out of it) are straight steals.

Given Berry's litigious tendencies, I'm amazed that he didn't go after Green. Or did he? Yours is one of only two Web references I can find to this amazing similarity.

Anonymous said...

Man! At last, someone else has noticed!!
It's an outrageous copy, and I can't believe Berry didn't pick it up as it was around the same time that he was suing John Lennon for the "Here come old flatop..." line in "Come Together".
My copy is on a double compilation album called Chuck Berry's Golden Decade.

Anonymous said...

I was just listening to my new Chuck Berry greatest hits for the 1st time and Deep Feeling came on and I immediately thought that it sounded like Albatross, so I did a google search to see what anyone else thought and I see that I am not the only one. Definitely a copy !!!